Friday, January 29, 2010

January 29, 2010

My current resolution for health (try new foods to foster a varied diet) has me eating capers this week.  Last night I made chicken with a commercial lemon-caper sauce (spruced up with some fresh garlic, parsley, and lemon) and Crispy Cauliflower with olives, capers and parsley.  I was a little apprehensive since capers appear to be one of those "love or hate" foods, but I thought they were really good.  Of course I did some research first; I bought non-pareil capers, which are smaller, less bitter and more flavorful.  I also rinsed the capers in cold water before using them to reduce the brine.  I can see how they would very much NOT work in the wrong recipe since the flavor is so strong, but they really seem to compliment lemon and parsley flavors.  I'm thinking salty or sour dishes are the trick.  I'm playing with the idea of combining bacon, capers and brussel sprouts, but I haven't worked out the details yet.

I haven't cleaned out the hutch drawer yet, but that'll probably be an activity for Saturday. 

Books added to the reading list:

Richard Brautigan, Revenge of the Lawn
Love & War in the Apennines, By Eric Newby

Quotes added to the Quotes list:

"'Begin at the beginning,' the King said, very gravely, 'and go on till you come to the end: then stop.'"
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland, Ch. 12

"You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do." ---Anne Lamott

No comments: